Friday, July 25, 2008

Pressure Cooking Beans Update

I have been pressuring cooking beans since my first post in March. It has become very easy to do. I found I can pressure cook from totally dry beans for about 20 minutes (after coming to pressure) followed by a natural cool down and have well cooked bean.

I no longer like the taste of canned beans. I still keep some on hand for emergencies, but almost exclusively use dried beans. I love the plainer, less acidic, fresher taste of cooked dried beans. I also found I like pinto beans, which I strongly dislike canned.

This has been an excellent experiment that has been working for me. I can make beans in about an hours time, fully cooked and ready for any recipe. Next I would like to try cooking the recipe in the crock pot. But that will have to come later. This is summer and I doubt I would get the opportunity!

Happy pressure canning!

No comments: